In 2008 the Guernsey Velo Club launched a weekly U12 racing league for children aged between 6 and 11 (school years 1 to 6), this league has gone from strength to strength and for 2010 we increased the age range of this league to include U14 riders to cater for the children as they moved from primary to senior school…we will now cater for children up the age of 15 (school year 10) as many just don’t want to stop racing on a Wednesday night. The 2015 season saw 150 children register for the league producing a fantastic season of racing. The GVC is very fortunate to have a purposely laid tarmac track at Delancey Park just for cycle racing; in fact we have the full support of Culture and Leisure to use the majority of varied terrain at Delancey Park for the Wednesday evening racing league. The race programme will include all forms of cycle racing such as:
- Time Trials: A time trial is a race where the riders start at 1 minute or 30 second intervals and need to cover a measured distance in the fastest time possible. In a time trial riders always ride by themselves. For Delancey Park the time trial will probably be 1 lap of the tarmac track, about 660 metres.
- Hill Climbs: A hill climb race is the same as a time trial where the riders start at intervals and race up hill over a measured distance, the fastest wins. At Delancey Park this may be part on the tarmac track and part on the grass.
- Cross Country Racing: Hopefully the name describes this type of race. You will race over a grass course for a number of laps with all the riders in the race starting together. First across the line wins.
- Circuit Racing: This type of racing will be around the tarmac track at Delancey Park, the race may be over 2 or 3 laps or even more for the older riders, the first across the line wins.
- Handicap races: For the cross country and circuit racing. When we do one of these we will base the handicap for rider on his or her position or time in a similar type of scratch race. The fastest rider will get a large handicap with the slowest rider going first. If the handicapping is good then all riders should cross the line close together. This form of race leads to very exciting racing with the faster riders closing in on the slower riders towards the end of the race, but does give riders of all standards a chance to win.
- Omnium Championship: This championship will be held sometime during the season and will be spread over two weeks, riders will take part in 4 types of races; they will be a 1 lap time trial, a hill climb, a circuit race and a cross country race. This is normally a very exciting event, one not to be missed.
- Jersey and Guernsey hold an annually contested Inter Insular championship, it was held in Guernsey in 2014 when Guernsey was victorious. Jersey were unable to host the event in 2015 and there has not been one since due to travel restrictions. We are looking to re-instate this and looking for a possible date this year 2019.
Courses will be designed with younger riders in mind and in every case the safety of the rider will be uppermost.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to get involved in one of the finest and exciting sports in Guernsey; we are looking for future champions and anybody wishing to improve their fitness and cycling skills. There are prizes to be won for those competing throughout the summer league series. We look forward to seeing you at Delancey Park.
With the new season fast approaching, please find attached the link
to complete your children's registration online. Please then forward payment to my address, as detailed on the registration form, please put your child's name on the cheque to enable me to tie everything up. If you prefer to pay by bank transfer I can forward bank details separately.
The Flyers League starts again on Wednesday 1st May 2019 at Delancey. We will be handing out race numbers on 1st May to people that have pre-registered, and would be very grateful if people could try to do this for us, it helps things run more smoothly on the day.
Look forward to seeing you all soon !!
Guernsey Velo Club LBG, incorporated in Guernsey (registration number 60906). Registered Office: Les Avants, La Route des Landes, Vale, Guernsey, GY3 5JJ.
Copyright © 2016 Guernsey Velo Club LBG.